Saturday, April 23, 2011

My motivation

I started to write down stories from my dating life when I was thirty eight.  It wasn’t my idea; everyone I talked to suggested it.
I am the token single girl in my group of friends but I didn’t always hold this title.  I was involved and even engaged in my twenties.   My goal was to be married by the time I was thirty and have my first child at thirty one.  It looked like I was going to achieve this goal when I got engaged at twenty eight.  It wasn’t until a year later and six months prior to my wedding that I realized that I couldn’t go through with it.  I just couldn’t picture spending the rest of my life with an alcoholic.
Canceling the wedding wasn’t easy but I never regretted doing it.
I knew that I was going to date a few rebound guys before meeting the right one.  I also knew that I was a good catch so it wouldn’t take me long to find a good guy.  I was thirty and ready to date, how difficult could it be?
Lots of changes took place in my early thirties.  I bought a condo and moved to a new town in Connecticut.  I made new friends and remained close to the few people who didn’t judge me.   “You’ll find him in no time!”  I heard over and over again from many people.  These optimistic and loving people were wrong.  Before I knew it, I was in my mid thirties and still single.

My friends wanted to hear all about my dates.  I didn’t want to disappoint them so I only shared my good dates which weren’t many.  The sad truth is that a few of my dates didn’t go smoothly.  Actually, a lot of my dates were downright crazy.   A man cut up my dinner into bite size pieces for me in a restaurant and another kept hundreds of dead tropical fish in his freezer.  Like I said, some were crazy.  I couldn’t imagine this happening to another woman.   I thought for sure I was giving off a weird vibe that make men behave offensively.
I analyzed my bad dates to figure out where it all went wrong.  I was too embarrassed to talk about them with anyone so I struggled with my little secret alone.  My friends frequently asked who I was dating and I would down play the craziness.   After a series of bad date, I told my friends that I was taking a break.  

After months of no dating stories, my fellow single friends began to worry about me.  They asked probing questions until I broke down.  I cautiously started to tell them about the disastrous events.  My friends wanted examples so I shared a few of my disturbing stories.  I anticipated pity or words of encouragement.  What I got instead was laughter and stories of their own bad dates.  It was such a relief knowing that I wasn’t alone; many people have been on a bad date!

I needed to know why I’ve had so many bad for so many years.  I decided to discuss this with my therapist.   She usually sat quietly while I described a date and then we analyzed it together.  This went on for months.

During one of my sessions, she struggled to stay professional.  I looked at her as I told her that my last date started crying during dinner in a busy restaurant.  She couldn’t help herself; she burst out laughing.  After she collected herself, she turned to me and said; “You have to write down all of these stories and have them published.  I haven’t met anyone who has this many hilarious dating stories.  You have to share them.”  
So, I thought about it and decided that she was right; I have to share my experiences.   What you are about to read are the dating memoirs of a forty year old woman...

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic!!! I'm so excited for you, what a great subject to blog about, looking forward to reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read the rest, as one of your single friends who can go 'tit for tat' on the bad dating stories! Someday our princes will come..or maybe we just don't need them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this is therapeutic for you. Stay positive. I'm sure there are a lot of great guys that don't know what they're missing to be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are so awesome.love this blog!

    ReplyDelete